Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Let it begin with me.

I don't even know what to say, other than God is good.  

It's one of those days.  You know, the sun is out.  It's delightfully cold.  The sky is a paler version of what would be electric blue.  Fresh biscuits were put out right as I got to the front of the breakfast line.  Something about the coffee tasted extra good today.

I don't know what it is really.  I just woke up feeling full.  

Today, God seems wild.  Big.  Breath-taking.  Present.  So good, His goodness seems threatening.  Like if I tried to comprehend how big and good He is, my head might explode.  If that makes sense.

Let it begin with me.

I went on a FOCUS ministry trip last semester.  We went to a church in Hickory for a weekend to work with the youth, have a sort of retreat weekend with them where we did our best to love them and pour into them, to try to communicate to them what we know of the things of God.
That Saturday morning, we went as a group to a prayer labyrinth.  It was a really cool experience.  The morning was a lot like this one - bright and quiet and cool and peaceful.  It was my first time participating in a prayer labyrinth, and I loved it.  Right as you entered this particular one, there was a flat rock on the sandy ground with a simple engraving on it:

"Let it begin with me." 

That phrase really stuck with me that whole weekend and in the time since.  I keep returning to it somehow.  Eventually, I had to act on it.  And as I'm finally beginning to learn this and practice it, I can feel the effects.  Letting it begin with Him.  What ever "it" may be.  My day, my decisions, my relationships, my spending, my learning, my loving, my healing, my life.    
He was the One who began it all anyway.  Who am I to try to deny the Beginner of all things credit?  Or His right to begin what He wants how He wants?  Who am I to think that any beginning I could come up with could be better than the one planned by the Ultimate Author and Finisher?

I'm not claiming to know much about the ins and outs and interpretations of the book of Revelation.  I have no education or experience with that book, much less do I have any idea of how to figure out the symbolism and imagery.  But this part of the text seems pretty understandable concerning who is speaking, and the truth contained in it rings out clearly:

And the one who was seated on the throne said, '"See, I am making all things new."  Also he said, "Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true."  Then he said to me, "It is done!  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end...
-Revelation 21:5-6

Hallelujah to the God who keeps promises and gives good gifts, who gives and takes away, who heals and restores, who rejoices over us and leads us into futures we couldn't have even imagined for ourselves.  The God who transforms and renews us daily.  The God who was and is and is to come. 

He begins because He has a great end in mind.  

"Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, 
and do not forget all his benefits-
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the Pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good as long as you live
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's...

...As for mortals, their days are like grass;
they flourish like a flower of the field;
for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
and its place knows it no more.
But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting
on those who fear him,
and his righteousness to children's children, 
to those who keep his covenant and remember to do his commandments.

The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, 
and his kingdom rules over all. 
Bless the Lord, O you his angels,
you mighty ones who do his bidding,
obedient to his spoken word.
Bless the Lord, all his hosts,
his ministers that do his will.
Bless the Lord, all his works, 
in all places of his dominion.
Bless the Lord, O my soul."

-Psalm 103:1-5, 15-22

No comments:

Post a Comment