Saturday, September 25, 2010

Lucky Charms is a Lie

*WARNING: This post may contain some sarcasm.  "Some" here meaning "a lot".*
 ____________________________________

I have just realized that I have failed to write a single comprehensive post about the differences between Ireland and America, or little things that I have just noticed in general.  Granted, this post itself may also fail to be comprehensive.  But it'll be fun to think of things all the same.


To start, a few notes to the innocent traveler whose head is filled with romantic notions about Ireland and the people who reside here:
1.  People do not usually go around saying "Top o' the mornin' to yeh!"  In fact, I'm quite sure that no one does.
2.  Gerard Butler is not Irish, nor is his accent.  Stop believing everything you see in the movies.
3.  Not all Irish are drunkards.  Again, the movies.  They tell false truths.
4.  I don't think leprechauns exist.  I know, I was shocked too.  Basically, everything the Lucky Charms people ever told us is a lie.


A couple little things that I have noticed:
-The spellings of certain words (for example, "humour", "metre", etc) are going to kill me when it comes to essays.
-People (at least in Waterford) have a habit of saying "Well!" as a greeting instead of "hello".  Despite having been here nearly a month, that still throws me off at times. 
-Boot = trunk (of a car).  Jumper = sweater.  Bin = trash can (they all went "Aw! You're so American!" when I asked where the trash was).  Fag = cigarette.  Vocabulary lesson!  Yay!

Also, let's take note of some often overlooked irony, shall we?
Has anyone ever noticed the close relation of the words "hostel" and "hotel"?  It's only a one letter difference.  And yet that one letter changes so much....
Also, the homophonic nature of the words "hostel" and "hostile".  Now, we should ask ourselves, what does this really say?  Is it a coincidence or not? 
(Just kidding, I quite enjoyed my time in the hostel in Killarney :] )

One last topic of discussion:
I need a more imaginative title for my blog.  I'm kind of sick of this one.  My old blog's name was "*Insert Insightful Word Here*"....  I'm considering changing it back to that.  Any other suggestions, of course, are very welcome. 
As in, please give me suggestions. I'm really stuck here.

That's all.  K thanks bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment